Thursday, September 1, 2011

a new love in the kitchen

mom brought me a cast iron skillet when they came to visit in July.

papi showed me how to season it, and mom made an an apple tarte tatin (from one of mom's favorite food blogs) in it for desert when we hosted my in-laws for dinner.

brilliant! I love, love, love it. I'm wondering what in the world I did without it all these years.
The other day, I found being cast iron skillet greedy when the thought flickered through my mind, "if only I had two skillets then I could...". hmmm.

truth be told, I have been enjoying thinking on how we discover things about ourselves. I remember going to a wedding shower while in college where the bride was absolutely delighted to receive a cast iron skillet - I sat there wondering who wanted a pan that you needed to season?  Now I understand.

Thanks mom for holding on to this cast iron skillet for months & months, and remembering to pack it into your car when you and papi drove up this summer. Its been such a blessing.

5 comments:

darcie said...

it's fun for me to read your post since yesterday I was in a kitchen store and I saw all these cast iron pans and I wondered, "how did that cast iron work out for Abi, i'll have to ask her!" no need to ask. blessings

naomi said...

it had better not be the square one - - I think I had claimed that one for myself (talk about cast iron greed!) :)

Rachel said...

heehee -- "if only I had TWO skillets...."

but just so you know, I think I have dibs on the next skillet gifting....!

Unknown said...

yes, I always look at the square one with envy...why don't they sell square ones anymore? and I remember my mom having several too--all different sizes...I want the little one, for one or two little eggs...

Abigail said...

oooh! a little one for eggs - that would be perfect.

haha - i didn't know we could claim! well no worries, the square one is all yours Naomi