Thursday, September 15, 2011

doing double duty

My sister-in-law, Kate, is coming over this morning for coffee. I decided to make the all time classic Newton scone that can do double duty for coffee this morning and for the guys tomorrow morning. 


I made the lemon poppy seed version.  While making them I was remembering how I would make these when living at 10 Montague with Aunt Gillian.  It took a few tries before I was able to figure out the correct conversion for butter - in England butter comes in blocks of 250 gms. I would borrow the poppy seeds from Aunt Gillian's spice shelf.  If I could manage, especially while they were fresh from the oven, I would bring 2 or 3 down to share with Aunt Gillian to have with her coffee, or tea depending on the time of day.
 She would always exclaim over them - then generously spread butter on the halves, which she said was the best way to eat a scone even if it did give her indigestion.

Newton's lemon poppy seed scone:
2 cups flour
1 Tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbs sugar
1/2 cup butter (8 Tbs)
3/4 cup of butter milk/plain yoghurt/soured milk
zest of 1 lemon
1 1/2 Tbs poppy seeds
  • mix dry ingredients, poppy seeds and lemon zest
  • cut in butter - using pastry cutter or food processor
  • mix in the butter milk, if using a food processor (which I have been using) dump flour butter mixture onto the counter or into a bowl and fold in the buttermilk. 
  • gently knead the dough 3-4 times then pat into a round about 3/4 inch thick
  • cut 6-8 pie slices and place on a rimmed cookie sheet
  • bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes 
for the icing -
2 cups powdered sugar - give or take a little for the right consistency
1-2 Tbs lemon juice
1 tsp milk
1 tsp light corn syrup *optional* I sometimes like to use it to help harden the icing a tiny little bit
  • mix all ingredients with a wisk
  • ice the tops of scones (or entire thing if you desire) after the scones have cooled  
These keep for about two days if you put them in an airtight container, but are best eaten as soon as possible.




and if you are feeling indulgent, you might try your with a thick
spread of butter as recommended by Aunt Gillian.

6 comments:

Jamey said...

Yum! I made scones for Noah on Tuesday. He requested cranberry orange although he usually asks for lemon poppy seed. It was his birthday so cranberry orange it was. I love scones fresh from the oven but I don't like to get up early, so I mixed all the ingredients the night before and pat the dough into to circle and pop it in the fridge for the morning. And when Noah's alarm went off at 5:30 (uggghhh) I jumped out of bed set the oven and crawled back into bed until the oven beeped. (sometimes it feels like it takes forever to get to 425). 15 min later I enjoyed a cup of coffee and a scone with my love. Maybe I should get up with him at least once a week.

Megan @ SimplyThrifty said...

This recipe looks delicious! I pinned it on my pinterest tonight. I was just meal planning tonight and went through all my recipes and came across a number of recipes from you and your family...sugar cookies, chili, foccacia bread. I love them all! Keep posting recipes. :) You always make delicious food! Good job on being prepared for tomorrow!

darcie said...

I love the story about Aunt Gillian and her buttered scone. And I like the photo of your little tea and scone set up

Abigail said...

Jamey - you are such a good wife. I agree it is nice to get up - though oh so hard. why is it so hard to creak my eyelids open?

Megan - thanks! I hope they work out for you. they really are a handy thing to be able to whip up at a moments notice.

Mom - I was remembering with Kate how last time she came to coffee she was 9 months pregnant with Lesle, and wasn't able to eat much of her scone b/c of heart burn!

Mercy Newton said...

i love the title for this blog entry!

Rachel said...

so glad you posted this! I finally have poppy seeds (thanks to mom), but since I never had them before...I didn't have the recipe! we had the scones for breakfast on Sunday...mmmmmmmmmmm......