Friday, September 9, 2011

hmm - so you probably thought I forgot - go on, admit it!

Tonight I am trying a recipe from Everyday Foods, a coffee cake muffin.
Something I love to eat but have never actually made. I think it is because I have a love-hate relationship with streusel toppings.  I love to eat them, I hate that every time I make it something seems to go wrong with it.


You can find all the details here on the Martha Stewart web page.





For the muffins- 
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 cup sour cream (I used yogurt instead)
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 eggs
For the streusel-
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup chilled butter
Directions
preheat oven at 350          butter muffin tins - this should make 12 muffins
  1. mix streusel together (I used the food processor) and set aside for later
  2. mix wet ingredients adding eggs last one at a time
  3. add the dry ingredients
  4. fill muffin cups half way with batter, put a spoonful of streusel into each cup then fill the cups with the remaining batter.  cover the tops of the muffins with streusel.
  5. bake for 25-30 min.

So I just pulled them out of the oven.  the streusel disappeared - stink! - I did however cut one in half for a taste. pretty yummy, but they did not look like the picture.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't know if this makes any difference at all, but sometimes I melt the butter before I make the streusel topping...I guess if you aren't having success now, it wouldn't hurt to try that and see if it works...:)

Abigail said...

brilliant idea - I tried the food processor on thurs thinking that might do the job. clearly not.

nathaniel ate a left over muffin this morning and said 'I am not sure exactly what these are supposed to be but the are delicious'
...sooo I guess I will mark this one down for another go - especially now armed with your melting butter tip.