Wednesday, April 28, 2010

a project

back in January my sweet friend Ellen had her fourth child - she said one day,
"Abi, would you like to borrow my sewing machine? I certainly won't be using for the next good long while.."
Delightful! of-course I would take care of the sewing machine for her.
However I soon discovered that fabric, patterns and sewing notions were not as easy to come by as I initially thought. When discussing this with a friend who sews, she confirmed my suspicions there were no local fabric shops, I would have to make a trip into the centre of London to find what I was looking for. Don't get me wrong, I love going into the centre of the city - but not when I have to interrupt the flow of my day when all I need is a bit of thread or some buttons.
Since then my mom has come for a visit, and tucked in her suitcase was lovely fabric to help me get on with my projects.
how very happy!
I used half of this lovely green print for a table cloth, and it makes me smile. It helps a huge deal in making our little flat look homey - the other half I have dreams of a skirt, still waiting for the perfect pattern to appear.

the other fabric mom brought, I used to make napkins - which I have been longing to make for ages. I just hate throwing away napkins every time we have a meal! this is much better.

7 comments:

darcie said...

Abi, I'm so glad you posted about this project-everytime I look at the fabric I love it more! and I'm thankful for Gabrielle pulling it off the shelf, "would Abi like this one?" I'm looking for a good pattern now and can't wait to see this lovely fabric made up into a skirt. . .I might borrow it for a day this summer~

Abigail said...

yes Gab is pretty fabulous at spotting the perfect thing! I got my first stain on the table cloth and it made me so so sad. then I opened the drawer and saw the rest of the fabric waiting to be made into something beautiful and I was not so sad.
I look forward to seeing what you pick out! and how fun would that be to share a skirt with such a story?

Francey said...

Hi Abigail! I'm francey, a friend of your parents. I found this pattern recently and want to make it in cotton, and I thought you might like it for your awesome fabric, even thought it't not a knit. Hope you like!
http://www.alteredcloth.com/blog/clothing/skirts/

Abigail said...

Hi Francey - I have heard so much about you! Thanks for the recommendation, I do really like the skirt! though I think I have the pattern (enroute via my mom!) for this fabric I think it may be worth hunting down some fabric for. I will let you know how it comes out!

Naomi Smith said...

oooh! I like that sewing machine!

and would it be too, too crazy to make a DRESS out of that beautiful green?

Abigail said...

I love the sewing machine too, it kinda reminds me of Ginny's green one you used way back when!

Rachel said...

hmmm. if she were to make a dress out of that material, you guys could wear your green dresses together to J & L's wedding. and match. you'd be so. cute.

do it!!!! me and mercy would love you forever (and we'd bring up the story at every family reunion, i promise. we'd make sure everyone knew that the dresses were a huge hit)