Tuesday, November 25, 2008

When Nathaniel and I were making plans to move to London, I would say something like "how wonderful! we are so close to so many places I have always wished to see..." and I would proceed to list off all those wonderful cities and countries: Spain (to see the Smiths and Rachel of course), Scotland and Wales (cause they are so close - and I think I have a bit of Welsh in me so really we must!), Paris, Rome! and Nathaniel would say "that is only if we can make our bank account stretch past our daily needs - sure that would be nice!" Of course Nathaniel was right, but I couldn't help but dream, and hope that somehow we might squeeze in at least one or two trips!

Travel certainly has not been in the budget since we arrived - and yet God knows how to give good gifts when it seems least possible. About a month ago Aunt Gillian invited me to go on a trip with her - she had not decided where, but she had extra air miles and she would like some company.

And so I went to Paris! We filled four days with drinking coffee (the real way according to Aunt Gillian),

seeing the sites,


listening to music in subway passages,


and getting as much time with Gillian Jackson (Nathaniel's youngest sister) as we could!

But with all that we saw and did, the very best part was coming home to the arms of my wonderful husband!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

But there are so many wonderful things to see in London and they're FREE! I've been to London several times and still havent' seen everything I wanted to see. I love the museums but then again I love history and am married to a history teacher :)
PS I do hope you get to Wales;it is so beautiful.

darcie said...

so-I wonder what coffee in Paris is like-big cups! thanks for sharing all the pics; we love you guys.

Naomi Smith said...

good girl! you remembered to take your camera! ( . . .and managed to bring it back :) )

I can't promise that the sights in Pamplona will be as grand as they were in Paris, but the coffee might, just might be even better!

can't wait to see you guys!

Abigail said...

to true Steph - I do love all the free things to see and do in London - Especially the museums!

I don't think the sites of Paris can stand against coffee and conversation with the Smiths... We can't wait.

Cat said...

Isn't the music in the tubes in London and Paris the best!?!

I'm sure you've done this already, but the British National Museum is fab - did you go see the gates of Nineveh there yet?

Also, St. Martin's in the Fields, go down underneath to the cafeteria where they serve a cheap soup and bread meal.. it's amazing in the winter during evensong!

Abigail said...

hi Catherine! I did decide that the London subway was clearly missing out after all the music I heard in the Paris underground.
I am going to mention St. Martin's to Nathaniel as a must do...it sounds right up my ally. Thanks for the suggestion!