Thursday, November 13, 2008

Daisy June




Yesterday I spent the morning with my friend Ellen and her three precious children. Daisy June, three, chatty and inquisitive, was sitting on my lap quizzing me about my family. the conversation went:
DJ: Where does your mummy live?
me: Um -- (wondering how much detail to give)- well, my mom lives in Texas
DJ: Oh, (short pause), well what is your mummy called?
me: Well, "Mom"
DJ: Nooooo... but what is she called?
me: Her name is Darcie
DJ: Oh (finally satisfied, but maintaining her characteristic pouting expression)

Slight interruption as the bus stopped and people rearranged themselves.

Lady across the aisle: Excuse me - I did not mean to be listening in on your conversation, but did you just say that your mom lives in Texas and that her name is Darcie? - This is going to sound so strange, but I'm from Texas and My name is Darcie!
me: No kidding (laugh)!
DJ: is that your mummy? (the puzzle completed)
me: No, she is not-though she does have the same name and is from the same place.
DJ: (silent and disappointed)

What are the chances? I am sitting on a bus in the middle of London and there across the aisle is a woman who (revealed later) was named after Mr. Darcy in Pride and Prejudice (sound familiar?), and who is from Houston Texas. It's a small world after all.

3 comments:

darcie said...

well, Daisy June is quite the girl! and I love hearing the story about the friendly lady on the London bus with "my" name!

jeremiah said...

Good story!!!!! umm.... my email address is, jeremiahnewton@gmail.com. im moving to colorado in a 1and1/2 weeks for work. so ummm i need your email address.

Rachel said...

aaaahhh....a very good story about one of the best names in the world!