Tuesday, March 8, 2011

reminding myself

Sometimes March can be a hard month in Syracuse.

The magic of winter and snow worn off, weary of clearing snow off cars, and putting on (and taking off) layer after layer of clothing, people start to speak hopefully of Spring.

I remember my first winter here, my sister-in-law Sarah gave me The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder, as if to say "just wait till you see what you are getting in for!" I read it for the first time in my life and I admit to feeling a little nervous about the winter months ahead of me.

I laugh now - certainly winter in Syracuse is a lovely thing and the only negative really is that the weather does seem to tease you during the months of March and April. A week of temperatures in the low 40s (warm as some people here call it) will melt away the snow and tempt you to wear fewer layers when out and about. Suddenly without warning the following week there will be a snow storm dropping a 15 inches of snow leaving you with freezing temperatures and often a cold because 40 degrees really is not that warm to be traipsing about with fewer layers!

This very thing happened over the weekend...

our car is the one on the left...it took N a good part of the morning to
shovel the snow enough so we could get out.

- and so this week instead of grumbling, I have been reminding myself of the beauty of winter, relishing my cozy sweaters, and making up my favorite soups.

And really I know that Spring Must come sometime, so I must not waste my time wishing for something that is not yet and enjoy the here and now!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

just last night I said to Brett, "Well, I wonder what I should pack for Syracuse," and he said, "something warm, I would think."

I knew THAT. I was wondering what I have that is cute AND warm : )

Mercy Newton said...

what? Rachel? you are gonig to visit abi and nathaniel? soooo jelouse of both of you.

but if you are wanting to wear something cute without worrying about layers you both should come along with me to..........florida!!!

Abigail said...

What? Mercy! what are you doing going to Florida?
Don't tempt Rachel to Florida, she will never want to come to cold Syracuse...Seriously!

Rachel - Don't listen to Mercy. I promise you can be cute and warm in Syracuse!