Monday, November 8, 2010

moving & memories

Yesterday Nathaniel and a few other strong men collected all our belongings from around Syracuse and deposited them into our new flat. I have been looking forward to this day for a very long time, even before we made our big move from England I was looking forward to the day I would be able to unpack all our belongings.

As I considered the boxes that surrounded me in my new kitchen I saw that all the boxes had been labeled carefully to help guide my unpacking... and all the writing was done in my mom's handwriting. And that made me smile.

The more I looked around, the more I saw little traces of my parents love and care for Nathaniel and me. Two and a half years ago they came for a visit to Syracuse, and they spent the majority of their visit packing our belongings and helping us prepare for our move to England. What a delight to go about my work yesterday (and today), remembering that time together with my parents.


Sending Papi & Mom off - after all their hard work...

Unpacking boxes of cloths I remembered Mom giving valuable input on what cloths to save, give away and take with me to England. 'Yes', I thought, 'I am glad mom told me to pack this corduroy blazer away...' Mom is wise that way.

Trying to put our bed together yesterday we were thankful for Papi's packing common sense when we went hunting for all the vital little internal pieces, and found them all safely packed together in the rods of the bed. Just where they should be...Papi is clever that way.

And so my day went yesterday - one memory after another - reminded of our time and conversations together, and it was good.
...and thank you Papi & Mom for loving us in such practical ways...

1 comment:

darcie said...

I love those sweet memories-thanks for sharing it; I have a pretty blue tray for your new home, just waiting for a spot. . .