Saturday, January 8, 2011

new years resolutions

Have I mentioned this before?
I do really love the new year, there is something about having a set time to reflect and start fresh.
I generally don't make an exhaustive list of resolutions but I do try to pick one or two areas in my life I would like to focus on particularly.
A staple to my list every year seems to be remembering all the birthdays in my family...at least remember siblings birthdays I tell myself. It keeps being a resolution because be the time January is out I have missed about 3 or 4 already!

Well I have kept my list to 3 this year:

1. Keep an updated calendar - contrary to what I may feel, they are not there just to look pretty, but to keep me organized.

2. Learn how to make a Danish pastry - my mother-in-law gave me a sweet old Danish cook book to remind me it is good connect with my family history - my heritage as she puts it.

and the one I am most excited about...

3. Memorize the book of Colossians - I am doing it with 3 friends from church, we are using this bible memory scheme here where we memorize 2 verses a week over the course of
the year.

Want to join us? It would be fabulous if you did... even if you have to stop after a bit - even a small portion of scripture memory is valuable!
check out the site, they provide adorable memory cards you can print out to aid with the memorization. The cards are in NIV, which I think we may end up using the ESV translation instead - but the cards are so cute I may try to recreate them in the ESV.

*As you can see birthdays didn't make it to the list this year... I thought perhaps I needed to take the pressure off and see if keeping a calendar (resolution #1!) will naturally result in my remembering the birthdays of all my loved ones...*

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I just tend to remember that most of the boys' birthdays are in September! Sadly, it is yours and Mercy's I tend to misplace in my mind. So is this little Jackson supposed to have a Jan or Feb birthday?

Abigail said...

due date is 19th of Jan. I am very hopeful it will not turn into a Feb birthday..mostly for my own sake!

Heather Pelczar said...

Abi!!!! (can I have a picture of you right now?!!!) I love you! and I love the thoughtfulness in your relationship with the Lord. And your thoughtfulness for other people. I just love you.

darcie said...

I think I would like to consider this memorization schedule. . .I always like to jump on these types of things but sometimes I wane, if you know what I mean? I'll check out that website but right now I'm searching out some fabric ideas for making diaper covers. . . see you very soon.

Abigail said...

mom- I am glad you have your priorities straight! I hope you found some adorable fabric for diaper covers.
I can't wait to see you too- and if you do decide to start the memory scheme then when your here you can help keep me going after the baby arrives!

Heather- I could just give you a great big hug right now! why do you live so far away? and I will do my best to accommodate your demands for a picture...