Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Nathaniel, Football & I


Nathaniel really really enjoys football (mind you it's football not soccer). This has been gradually dawning on me over the past two years with the help of little hints such as:
  • He keeps about 6 soccer balls in the trunk of his car (just in case!)
  • He slows down - when walking or driving - past a pick-up soccer match
  • He pours over the selection of soccer cleats in his sports catalogs as much as I do an Anthropology catalog
But I have arrived at a new level of comprehension. Not only does Nathaniel really enjoy football - he is passionate about it and loves to share this aspect of his life with me! This is evident, when he invites me to join him for a 'football workout', which often includes a mini lesson and the encouraging declaration, "You're a natural babe!"

So, the other night when Nathaniel asked if I would like to join him to watch Match of the Day (his favorite TV program that shows the highlights of all the English premiership games that day), it was with delight that I snuggled up next to him in front of the television for an hour of footballing fun.

While I took note of how "that poor guy is on the wrong team -- his hair color just does not work with the color of his uniform..." Nathaniel admired the skill and finesse of the athletes. Sharing with me bits of information about what was going on. He patiently answered my questions about the game, which always seemed to come at the most inconvenient moments (like right before a big goal was scored). My favorite part was when they showed the top 10 goals of the month. To my delight, Nathaniel even added his own commentary to his favorite ones.

I think I am getting it - this football business. Just the other day I made a football connection - I said to Nathaniel "I bet Josu looks a lot like Wayne Rooney (English footballing hero) when he was 3 years old!" Nathaniel laughed heartily in agreement. Score!

2 comments:

Naomi Smith said...

not "score" Abi!
"gooooooaaaaaaaaalllll!"

darcie said...

hmmm, I know that kind of passion, only mine's passionate about riding a bicycle-I still don't get the strategy. . .good men, indeed. And by the way Abi, you take and choose great photos for your posts!