Saturday, October 22, 2011

After a wonderful and inspiring visit with mom this past week I came to last night with a resounding crash.  I was missing having someone to discuss baking ideas with and then the companionship that comes when you have someone working in the kitchen with you.
What in the world was I going to make for Friday morning - there I was searching through my cupboards remembering that it can't be anything that calls for too much baking powder because mom and I used so much last week I hardly had any left...and I was not about to go out and buy some.
I found a can of pumpkin puree. Perfect!
Pumpkin bread it would be. It will be a nice break from all the apples I have been feeding them.
The recipe comes from Martha Stewart - she makes it in loaf pans, I went with the bunt pan (prettier that way).
I am going to do the cheater way and I won't take the time to write it out.  Have a look at the recipe here.

A few thoughts...
  • if you like pumpkin pie - you will love this. It is still cake like while somehow also being creamy and dense.  Though, perhaps the denseness of it has to with the fact that I may have slightly undercooked it?
  • instead of the plain icing the recipe called for I made a cream cheese icing.  This I highly recommend, it is a bit more decadent/desserty but there is something so wonderful about cream cheese and pumpkin. 
  • and on a personal preference - I wouldn't make this recipe again for myself. I tend to like my pumpkin bread to be bread and not so  much like pie. 

2 comments:

Jamey said...

I will have to try this. It looks yummy. We made pumpkin muffins this weekend. They were really good and the recipe makes 24 so I had plenty to eat and take for a sunday school snack. We decided that we like the cream cheese dollop but these would be good without it, too.

http://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/2011/10/pumpkin-cream-cheese-muffins.html

darcie said...

I think I'm going to try this one and maybe Jamey's muffins aswell. We thought about having a pumpkin weekend with the children. . .ah, all things pumpkin! And the "cheater way" works just fine; thanks for teaching me how to link; it took a little experimentation on my part and a little help from Papi, but I think I got it now!