Tuesday, June 7, 2011

I remember grocery shopping with my mom early Saturday mornings growing up (she would go really early so I don't think I made the trip very often...).
Now, I am practically all grown up - and I have a family of my own to shop for. I don't always manage to go early in the morning, though have found it is the most pleasant time to shop - you guys out there probably know what I am talking about.
I find myself doing things she would do, studying the meat prices - is there any super amazing deal this week?, browsing the flowers - sometime I buy some as a treat like she would, and if it is one of those rare early morning I get a small coffee to enjoy as I do my shopping - just like mom would.

I remember one day we went down the isle the Hersey's dark cocoa powder lives. As she grabbed one from the shelf she told me, 'This is something that I squeeze into the budget because I know that Papi really loves his cocoa, and it is a way I know that I can show him I love him.'

So sometimes when I am shopping and I make my way down the isle that the jam and fruit preserves live, I remember this wonderful practical way of loving my husband! Instead of the store brand, I grab Bonne Maman Raspberry preserves because I know Nathaniel really enjoys having some on his toast in the morning.

We may skip having something else in the house that week - but it is absolutely worth the squeeze!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

aw, I love it! trying to remember what I used to squeeze into the budget--probably ice cream, or texas grapefruits (when we lived in north carolina), or mangoes...Luke loves those things.

darcie said...

yes, that jam is lovely-infact I think that is a picture of toast and jam from my visit in January! today I need to put more herseys cocoa in my shopping basket. Can't wait to see you soon.

Rachel said...

in our house it's cranberries and coffee : )

Abigail said...

texas grapefruit make it to our list too from time to time. seriously, texas makes the best grapefruit.

Mom, I think you took this picture - thanks for taking great pictures while I was busy sleeping and then sharing them with me!