Friday, January 1, 2010

So - with a new year comes new adventures, new opportunities to grow!

I am rarely gun shy of new adventures, but this year I find myself a bit intimidated by the prospect ahead of me. You see, my adventure is Time - what do I do with my time. I suppose we all have this same adventure, but the challenge is unique to each of our specific situations.

Last week I spent my last days as administrator in the church office. On the 31st of December I handed over my keys to the administrator, and started to function full time as wife and homemaker.

Here is the plan - With Nathaniel working towards going into full time ministry, this seems to be an ideal time for me to get a feel for what it might be like for me - to be the wife of a man in ministry. Nathaniel has thoughtfully made this learning time a priority, "Go ahead Abi, explore your gifts and interests, learn from the women around you, and grow in your usefulness for the kingdom of God. Take advantage of the opportunities around you, as this is a unique time in your life!" he says.

So, I have the adventure of Time. I am so thankful for it, but I am so afraid I will waist it - and that would be such a shame. How and where do I start? Well I have decided to start with a few small things and then work my way up and out!
  • I found out that my elderly neighbor upstairs enjoys sweet pastries to go with her tea. It would be nice to make a habit of baking something nice and dropping in for a visit and a cup of tea.
  • Nathaniel would be delighted if I took on the challenge of keeping up with the family birthdays (no small task when you consider that on Nathaniel's side of the family alone there are no less then 35 birthdays to keep track of.)
  • I learned last Spring that a big challenge of not having a job that required you to be up and out the door at a specific time was that I struggled to get out of bed in the morning! So, I will try to be up by 7 to go for a run and read my bible.
It is just a start, hopefully it is a good jumping off point for other ways I can use my time productively!

5 comments:

darcie said...

this is a worthy pursuit, Abi, being a good steward of time-I like the way you described the challenge and purposed a plan, at least the framework! blessings in this new season of your life; I'm excited for the opportunties ahead.
with love. . .

Meredith said...

Hi Abi! I just found your adorable blog and am thinking of you as you begin a new phase in your life ;o)

Rachel said...

wonderful, wonderful things to start out with! I can relate very much to that struggle to get out of bed : ) I'm looking forward to having more spring-light in the mornings to help me overcome...

Rachel said...

p.s. I like your new header!

Unknown said...

I think it is a wonderful idea!! I sometimes wish that I had had to opportunity to stay home and learn how to stay home and be a wife before I was a SAHM :). I love what I do but 3yrs in I still struggle w/ being a good steward of time, having a good routine and knowing what of the good is the best for me. Enjoy this new season, I love you!