Saturday, July 18, 2009

well my birthday has come and gone...but it was such a lovely day I thought I would share the details with you all!

Nathaniel discovered that if you show up in the late afternoon to Wimbledon you can get in for a discounted price. I had shown interest in the past to go to Wimbledon and so it seemed the perfect birthday treat.

I left work at noon, and headed into London to meet Nathaniel where we would head out to Wimbledon together. To be honest I know little to nothing about tennis, but I was all excitement and as we purchased our tickets I could hear the crowd watching various matches ohhing and cheering...one can't but help be caught up in the excitement.

We bought tickets to see a doubles match at Centre Court -where Nathaniel explained, the final matches are all played. As the match progressed Nathaniel had to explain a few things to me - here are a few bits I learned:
  • All tennis played at Wimbledon is played on grass courts
  • You are supposed to be very very quiet while the ball is in play
  • A Gentleman's match is between retired players
  • The match officials were very cute outfits
Here we are with Centre Court behind us after the match was done. I was very happy that day despite the pained expression on my face!

After we had our fill of tennis we wondered back to the neighborhood where Nathaniel lived way back when, and visited a few of his old haunts - then settle down for some Italian food.

We made our way back to the underground...this is Nottinghill Gate tube stop where it we happily waited for quite some time.


When we arrived home I walked into our flat to find this lovely pitcher of happy sunflowers to finnish off a wonderful evening together.

2 comments:

darcie said...

so nice to hear how you and Nathaniel celebrated your birthday, Abi. We are in Tacoma with the Goodnoughs. Little Brielle says "hi"-she keeps telling me that she loves me!

Anonymous said...

how FU-UU--UUUN!you are living the dream abigail jackson (i almost said newton...shush-dont tell nathaniel) i'd love to find someone who would be as interested in playing more tennis as i am....someone like YOU!!! maybe? what a great sport. waaayyy better than biking. just saying.

love,
M