Friday, November 11, 2011

last week I bought some molasses - I have been thinking about gingerbread.
for this morning I made a pan of gingerbread, a Jackson family recipe.
I don't think I realized that gingerbread could be anything but cutout cookies until Nathaniel and I got married.
as it turns out gingerbread is one of Nathaniel's favorites - loves it at breakfast, tea, dessert with a bit of whipped cream...

Everyone can use a good gingerbread recipe - especially with Christmas around the corner (Ahhh! Christmas is coming!).  Please, please, please make this recipe at some point in the next two months and especially eat it with freshly whipped cream and a cup of coffee.

mix together:
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg

in a different bowl mix together
1/2 cup of melted butter
1/2 cup of boiling water
1/2 cup of molasses
1 egg

mix all the ingredients together until smooth
pour into a 8-9 inch cake pan
bake at 325 F for 35 minutes

I ate a piece while skyping with Gab this morning - I restrained myself from exclaiming out loud just how delicious it was because I didn't want her to be sad not to have a piece of her own.
I definitely do not make this recipe enough.


I don't make it nearly often enough.
 

5 comments:

Rachel said...

oh, just in time! I bought some molasses yesterday (finally on sale) and was wondering what I was going to make with it...

darcie said...

yes, I do love, love gingerbread with cream and coffee; I will make it and imagine that you are here to share it

Unknown said...

so that's what you were munching on!!! I just thought your wide eyed looks of wonder were because of my lovely morning face...
P.S. let's Skype more, it was so nice.

Abigail said...

oh Gab, I do wish I had your morning face...
and do lets skype again soon it was so nice - I have been thinking about you guys all day, my goodness I miss you all.

Rachel! isn't if fun to finally have some molasses? I think I waited for a month wanting gingerbread before that molasses finally went on sale.

mom - in our imaginary visit over gingerbread, coffee and cream lets talk about ways to make my home a place were people feel welcome and comfortable, a place where real life happens and where those real conversations (you know the kind that you keep thinking about long afterwards)take place. miss you!

naomi said...

gingerbread with whipped cream is nice - - but I think I might like gingerbread with salted butter even better!