Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Dear Naomi -

Remember when we came to visit you in Spain? do you remember that conversation we had about what to do with the left over coffee while cleaning the kitchen up the morning after a late night of coffee, cards and conversation...and probably cake?

You said something like -
Keep it! you know lately I have been enjoying the coffee that is a day or two old better then fresh, it seems to get richer and more bold that way.


I was not too sure about that, but I poured the coffee into a glass and put it in the refrigerator for you to enjoy later that day...or whenever.



Well this morning I found some leftover coffee from the day before, thinking to myself what a shame that I didn't finish it! Then I remembered our conversation about coffee.
So I pulled down my favorite coffee cup, poured the coffee into my cup, popped it in the microwave, and stirred in a bit of milk (actually quite a bit of milk as it really does get more intense). So here I am drinking my day old coffee and enjoying it with my toast (made with stale home made bread ...but you can hardly tell when it is toasted you know!).
Thanks for passing on such nuggets of daily wisdom...I might have poured that coffee down the drain if it hadn't been for you.

I miss you Naomi!

Love, me

6 comments:

Unknown said...

okay, so I learned this trick from Rachel when she lived with us! I always thought, "that's gross, stale coffee," but Rachel would come down all day long and heat up more stale coffee, so I started doing it, and to my dismay, it was good!

Abigail said...

I know! absolutely crazy...and to think of all the lovely coffee I dumped down the drain. it took me 2 years to get with it.

darcie said...

this is a really creative post with such a sweet memory; interesting what we teach one another without even realizing we're teaching, right? And I love love the photo-beautiful!

Mercy Newton said...

hehe, this morning there was a pot half full of coffee from yesterday.

i poured it into a big glass, made myself some fresh coffee, then poured yesterdays coffee back in the pot.

maybe i'll want it later-just not for this morning.

but then again, yesterdays coffee was foldgers, and today's was a vanilla macadamia nut blend from maui.

it makes a difference, i guess.

Abigail said...

hahahaha! Mercy I love you and miss you.
I am just wondering why you did not just dump the Folgers down the drain, I am not sure if Folgers is worthy of morning after enjoyment.

naomi said...

dear Abi,
I love you! we will have a cup of stale coffee together again some day . . .
xoxox
N