Thursday, November 5, 2009

Goodbye Mazda, Goodbye school loan


While back in the States this Summer Nathaniel and I sold our Mazda 3, and it was hard. I remembered back to when I got my first car, a 86 Honda Prelude - a gift from my sweet grandfather who was graciously giving up his right to drive. The Prelude was one of my grandfather's special earthly possessions and it was I am sure hard to give it up. I went to pick up the Honda and my grandma did something that I did not quite understand at the time - over dinner she asked all who were at the table to give a memory of Grandpa and the Honda Prelude as a way of helping Grandpa say goodbye and let go of the car.

On August 31st as I handed the keys over to an excited new owner of our Mazda 3 and watched it drive away, I understood in a small way and appreciated why Grandma asked us to share memories with Grandpa to help with the transition.

So I am going to share a memory of the Mazda with you guys as a goodbye as it were...

A month before my wedding I was getting ready to move from my home in Santa Clarita Ca. to San Antonio Tx. My job was to whittle down all my earthly possessions to only that which I could fit into the Mazda 3. I think I must have packed and repacked about 5 times - I am sure my dad could have done the packing in 2 tries ... and then he would have fit about 10 extra things in that I thought I was going to have to give away. But there was no Papi around to help, so it was left to me.

Finally it was done, you could not see out any of the windows and the person in the passenger seat would have to keep things on their lap. So I was ready to be off - I just needed my traveling companion...Jeremiah who sweetly offered to fly out to Los Angeles only to turn right back around and make the long drive back to Texas in my packed to the hilt Mazda 3.

Certainly this is a memory about the Mazda 3 but also it is a memory of a wonderful exhausting trip with my younger brother (who insisted in driving the entire way - and anyone who has driven through New Mexico, Arizona & West Texas knows what a sacrifice that is) as I left behind a stage of my life to prepare for a new life as Mrs Jackson.

In a closing though a wonderful thing has come out of saying goodbye to the Mazda:

Part of the reason we sold the Mazda 3 was to enable us to pay off the last of my school loans. So it was worth it to see the Mazda 3 drive away. Last month I made my very last payment to Sally Mae for my college education. And it is Good! Thank you Nathaniel for being firm in insisting we sell the car! Definitely worth it.

5 comments:

darcie said...

this is nice, Abi-thanks for sharing it; I remember bits of all of that but I like how you connected your life experiences! Congrat for paying off those loans! much love. . .

Rachel said...

I like it all -- ah, Grandpa! I hadn't heard that story -- but I especially like the part about Jeremiah insisting that he drive the whole way back....it reminded me of when Noah did the same thing for me, a couple years before. these kinds of brothers aren't found just anywhere!

Naomi Smith said...

that mazda was like a nephew to us.
I can't believe you sold our nephew.

but . . . it might be ok to sell a nephew in order to pay off school loans.

yes, it was probably best.

awesome! (it's good to be school loan free)

Abigail said...

it was like a nephew to you and Joshua...! you guys were with me just about every step of the way, and it literally would not have happened without you. thanks for taking care of me. sigh - good memories that make me all happy and sad.

Unknown said...

this is from Luke: Because of Grandpa's prelude I have always thought that they are so classy. when someone drives by in a run down 25 year old Prelude, I see none of the rust and fading paint, I just see a classy car worthy of grandpa.