Monday, February 9, 2009

a little guest

and an unwanted one at that.

For two weeks now we have seen small signs and ever so often a bold appearance of a mouse. We have tried some traps unsuccessfully - I was not however ready to move onto the poison for the obvious reason that I did not want to find a nearly dead mouse crawling across my floor.

Sunday, Nathaniel left for a week long mission an hour and a half away - leaving me to deal with my creeping fear of the mouse. Fear of a mouse being where it does not belong, dancing on my kitchen floor and counter tops.

I resolved not to be overcome by my natural fears. Sunday night I scoured the kitchen spotless, then I crawled into bed with chocolate and the movie Ratatouille - ready and willing to believe that rodents are totally cute.

This worked well until this evening when my space was invaded! Ratatouille though very cute as a movie just was not very practical in real life.
I have declared war on the local mouse. The mouse who had the gall to come into our kitchen/living room/dining room right in the middle of my supper! Who took his time having a look around, who caused me to shriek and jump up out of my chair, and who decided it was a good idea to run behind our refrigerator!

With my heart racing and my hands a bit shaky, I gingerly tip-toed across the room to, to, to - to do what? trap the mouse? and with what - a dish towel? I pulled out the fridge, the mouse jumped out and ran straight for the couch. Ahhh! of-course all I did what you might expect, I dropped my dish towel and danced about saying "oh, oh, oh!" Though traumatized, the mouse made a big mistake to run for the couch...I was not about share My couch with any old mouse! I was on a rampage, I tore the room apart looking for it. Not sign to be found, though I have a sinking suspicion that he is hiding in the couch somewhere (ugh!).

Yep it is war time - and I am going to fight to win! I cleaned the room spotless and then out came the poison, strategically placed under the couch and behind the fridge. No more trying to pretend it is all natural to have a rodent rummaging around in your space! Time to put on the ugly face!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

is that you trying to put on an ugly face? it's totally not working. you look too good.

i hate any kind of rodent too. my friend has a pet rat who has a tumor the size of the rest of his body. it's disgusting. we all think she should just put it out of it's misery. who would want one of thoes for a pet anyway. but if you can deal with large flying roaches, you can deffinately handle the mouse.

Abigail said...

I couldn't get a picture of the mouse and I was too freaked out while looking for the mouse to think of picking up the camera to take a picture of the upheaval of the room.
Really the picture is for you Mercy, who said you wanted pictures - that was the best I could do.

darcie said...

so, over dinner last night Papi and I were discussing your "war on the mouse" and he told me about a mouse who came creeping into our duplex when we were newly married. He seems to remember that I responded with much "EEEEK" and "get rid of that rodent!!" but I don't remember any of it--infact, I think he's making it up. . .please keep us updated on the life/death of your mouse, O.K.?

Unknown said...

I've had my own mouse experiences in which I ran into my parents room at 6am and jumped in their bed screaming, only to hear my brother yelling, "It's just a tiny little mouse." Who cares? No mouse should be taking a tumble in my vanity table...

Alyssa Joy said...

I have to admit that I did enjoy ratattoui but the part where all the rats run out of the kitchen made my skin crawl. I wish you luck in your war agains the mouse, and I´m afraid that your mean face is far from mean you might just have to bring in the poison:)

Heather Pelczar said...

You're "ugly face" is pretty darn cute! I am just gonna barge into your blog once in a while since I can't seem to find the right email for you. I miss you a lot. How are you? well, aside from the mouse.

Anonymous said...

I sent you an e-mail, don't know if you will get it because it was an old e-mail address (back when you were a Newton). So let me know if you have a new one or if you got it.

Josiah

Anonymous said...

So hows the mouse?
Uncle Jim